Finlandia Hall, Alvar Aalto Helsinki Central Train Station Entrance, Eliel Sarrinen
Helsinki, National Romantic Style Building
Stockholm, City Hall
Stockholm, Nordic Museum
Copenhagen, Rosenberg Castle
Today, the experience of revisiting these cities has been as significant and interesting for me as the first time, a new experience set in a context of distant familiarity. Yes, the cities have continued to grow, change and evolve, but what I find more striking is how I have grown, changed and evolved as a person since my first visit. I see many things with the same eyes I've seen before, but what's different is how I think about them. Yes, architecture is still an interest of mine, but no longer like that of an eager student with a thirst for knowledge for architects, buildings and everything design. Today, my interests are broader and encompass the entire culture, trying to understand what makes a particular country unique; it's politics, it's welfare system, it's orientation toward religion, it's economy, it's cultural heritage and the cultural evolution today, and of course it's people.
To that point, David and I decided we would approach our lodging accomodation in Scandinavia differently than we had up to this point. Adding to our experience of staying in a given city, we chose to stay with locals as rental guests for this part of our journey wanting to meet like minded people of a given country. We thought one week would be good for our potential hosts as well for us, the trip thus far hasn't really afforded us this opportunity as we could not make such a request for our typical month stay. In planning for the trip, a friend of mine, Landon, shared his experiences with a Home Exchange program oriented toward Gay and Lesbian travelers. I researched the Website and soon subscribed as a member. In doing so, I was able to locate other members all over the world interested in Home Exchanges and some interested in Rental Guests. Our situation was unique in that we did not have any home to exchange (my Dad staying in my home, a renter in David's), nor could we reciprocate for some time due to the length of our trip. I sent off a few inquires to a gay male couple in Stockholm and a Lesbian Couple in Oslo. I was then, and more today, astounded by the good nature, openness and extreme generosity of others, before now we were complete strangers to each other. I've included the original email I sent to each couple, in this case Rita and Renate, it was from this simple exchange and sincere request that a friendship was born, with Rita and Renate in Oslo and Arne and Rob in Stockholm. Experiences like these remind me of the good nature of human kind, the connectiveness of all of us, independent of what separates us like countries, cultures, nationalities, age, experiences, etc.
Renate and Rita
Rob and Arne
A simple exchange...
Hello Rita and Renate,
I'm Allan Brabo, a new member to Home Around the World. I live in Portland , Oregon USA in the Pacific Northwest.
As I've noted in my Membership Profile, my partner and I are traveling for an extended time frame in 2009/10. We would enjoy meeting and staying with local men and women for approximately one week periods as a rental guest. We're open to hospitality exchange, although would not be able to reciprocate until mid 2010.
About us, David and me:
We met in 2004 at a mutual friends Birthday Party. We became friends through a Gay Men's Vegetarian Group and started dating. I'm 48 (at the time of this writing) and have a professional Design/Design Management background and recently completed 17 years with NIKE. I'm currently on a 'Sabbatical', enjoying life and traveling. My partner, David, is 47 (at the time of this writing) and is a professional in the field of Human Resource Management at Oregon Health and Science University. He will be taking time off, joining me on this journey.
I would like to know if you would consider my partner, David, and I as Rental Guests for the period of one week, Arriving August 26, 2009 and Departing September 2, 2009.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards, Allan.
Contact Information:
Member: W50611
Email: allanbrabo@yahoo.com
Phone: 503.539-9588
No comments:
Post a Comment