Morocco has offered me a unique look into myself, through a culture that engages you and also the rich and disciplined religious practice of Islam, praying five times a day, commencing with the first call of prayer at Dawn, about 5:00 AM. Everything about Morocco says this part of the journey for me was about inward focus, a focus on stillness or spirituality, away from the 'distractions’ that prevent us from seeing us, the inner self. Moroccan culture literally reminds you that spiritual focus is and needs to be a purposeful practice, each and every day, all day long, hence the Prayer Call five times a day. The inward focus was further reinforced in the Medina of Fez where we were staying, the maze of narrow, twisted walled walkways allowing you only to focus on what was in front of you, nothing beyond. Taking this one step further, the Riad, the center focused house we were staying in had very few external windows (more than the average as we have three sides to the 'streets'), be it small ones with a large courtyard opening to the sky above…perhaps an analogy to what our intentions should be...inner focus and spirituality. In addition to that, respecting the culture and views on homosexuality, David and I had separate bedrooms which happened to be on different floors open to the courtyard, speaking to the focus on self. Taking it a step even further, David and I had various forms of gastronomical issues (no more on this topic), which centers the focus on the body and body awareness that we so often take for granted. Completing the focus, David and I started to listen to 'The New Earth' (of which we had both read before the trip) discussions between the author, Eckhart Tolle, and Oprah Winfrey, in which they discuss the concepts, chapter by chapter, all culminating in the understanding of self/ego and being present, present in the moment, and stillness or spirituality within.
Of course, I don't believe this alignment is due to coincidence, its timing and placement in this trip is strategic. My overall self discovery on this journey has been insightful, one that would be difficult for me to articulate in one Blog Post, let alone many, but one that continues to influence what I think, who I am, who I am not, what I am to myself (my ego and inner self), who I am to others (including David), my spirituality…my reason for being, here on earth and in the context of what's greater than us all.
Morocco has provided me not only with direct, but subtle and even obscure references of my spirituality and path through physical parameters limiting my 'distractions' and providing me the context to practice being present, something I have not had this level of assistance with before. As a result, after several weeks, I started to see and understand the alignments and the instruction of focus, before thinking they were all separate and unique aspects associated with my time in Fez.
Each place I have the opportunity to visit on this trip offers me something, something more than an experience in a country or city, but offers insight into me, into Allan and the inner self.
Morocco has called me to inner focus, a time of being present, a time that is neither past nor future, but is. It is Morocco, Fez in particular, that is present, present in its way of life and spirituality. Fez has been the ultimate teacher for me, with very clear instruction that will continue to be heard, like the call to prayer, beyond the fortified walls of the Medina.
I had a similar experience, although much closer to Portland. I spent a week at the Mt Angel Abbey for a private retreat. Mind you, I am not Catholic but that's not required to do your own retreat. I went to all of the monastic services throughout the day (5 if I remember correctly) and simply enjoyed the process of refocusing myself, 5 times a day, with the chanting and the silence. I can imagine what you experienced during your time in Fez and I am glad for you. :) Krista
ReplyDelete