
Today, Groundhog Day, is my last day at work. Hopefully I won't have to relive this day forever, as Bill Murray did in the movie! I was just one week shy of 6 years employment at OHSU, and I must say, it was the best job I ever had. I will miss my friends very much, and I hope that they can keep positive amidst this economic downturn...and any layoffs.
Now Allan and I embark on this amazing trip around the world. In my wildest dreams, I never would have thought that such a thing could happen to me. Usually when people say they will follow this blog to experience it vicariously, I say that I will be experiencing it vicariously through myself as well. I mean, is it really happening? "Aren't you getting excited??" people say to me. I have a hard time answering that, as I usually don't get too excited about anything until it's actually happening...I want it to be real first. So I usually just say that I'll be excited once I'm on the plane to Fiji! Then it will seem real, not just some dream or fantasy.
When Allan first asked me to join him on this trip (he had been planning it for many years, even before we met) I turned him down. I mean, who am I to accept such an enormous gift? (I know, I know, how did I get so lucky to find someone as loving, generous and handsome as Allan?) How could I quit my job, rent out my condo? It was just too hard to wrap my mind around. But after a few months of discussions with friends & family, and many contemplations later, I said yes. (Like, what is my problem?? I had to think about it??) I remember Allan saying something like, "I'm surprised you said no. I thought that you were practicing detachment, and embracing new opportunities." Hard to argue with that, right?
Last month I rented out my condo, and moved in with Allan. What's that like? Well, it's sort of like living on a movie set! Everything is perfect and beautiful. I expect Barbara Streisand to burst through the door at any moment, singing "Sadie" from Funny Girl. "Do for me! Buy for me! Lift me, carry me! Finally found a guy to marry me!" But seriously, it's been nice...and busy. Each day we have a million little details to work on for this trip (er...Allan is working on them!), and I've been finishing up things at work. So I suppose it's not like normal living together...or is it? Hard to tell. Are all couples this busy each day? Do they all colapse in bed at 10:30?
What will it be like to travel with Allan around the world for 399 days? It's hard to imagine. In those 13 months, babies can be conceived, born, and learn to smile. Businesses can close and economies can recover. Environments can worsen, new technologies can emerge, things can improve. People can die. So much can change, or nothing can change. Will I change? Will Allan and I survive 57 weeks of travel, being together 24/7? What about the 20+ flights, boat rides, and trains?
My parents taught me the Art of Worry. So for the past 6 months of planning this trip, I've had a multitude of worries running through my mind..."If I quit my job, maybe no one will hire me when I return. I'll end up broke and homeless living under the Burnside Bridge! And what about the water and pollution in China, anyway? Or the poverty in India? What about vegetarian options in Argentina? What about missing friends, family, and my own pillow?!" On really bad days it was like this: "What about Malaria? What if I vomit in front of Allan--or what if he vomits in front of me?? What about those countries that imprison gay people, and force them to watch the Super Bowl?!?!" My therapist friend Michael says that "What you fear, appears." So then I start worrying about what I'm fearing....
(Oh, the monkey mind! Thank God I have a Guru. Thank God for meditation!)
Allan is a big help too. He lets most worries roll off him like minor challenges that will be easily dealt with. He just tells me, "We'll figure it out." He can be the yin to my yang, or something like that. "And somehow", he says, "our experience will be unique and wonderful." That is our intention anyway. I am grateful to God and Allan for this opportunity.
This is my first attempt at a blog--I hope you like it. We plan to check in frequently, uploading pictures, and sharing experiences, keeping you all with us in heart and spirit--for even though the world is a beautiful place to explore, the meeting of hearts and souls is the journey we find most important. We look forward to meeting you there.
Best wishes for a fantastic 2009!
--David
Hey travel buddies! I'm so excited for you both and look forward to all the pics and stories from your travels around the world. I'm QUITE sure you won't have time to write this much with every entry but this is a wonderful start; nice job David!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to following you,
Krista
XOXOXO
Hi Krista,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post! It helps me learn how to use this blog. I need a tutor! And you're right--I won't be able to write that much once we're on the trip. But I wanted to give some 'back story' to those that I haven't talked to in awhile.
Thanks again for the journal. I'm looking forward to using it!
love,
D
I LOVED this post! You did such a good job! I was reading it and laughing at your humor! You are not the only one in this family with WORRY problems... i swear im in the dr more than not with ulcers! Ah the joys :)!
ReplyDeleteAnyways... I am SO excited for you 2 and this adventure! I cant wait to follow all of these amazing places with you :)!
PLEASE be safe, have fun, know you are missed and LOVED VERY much!
XOXO Leesa
D&A: love the blog! I'm looking forward to learning more about the world from your travels and adventures. It'll be like a personal connection with Rick Steves! Let me know if you meet any UU folks along the way.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Bill & Steve
I am so thrilled for the both of you. Thank you so much for allowing of us to be part of this journey with you.
ReplyDeleteWe all can't wait to see pics and hear about your travels. I imagine that posts will be a little shorter but not without the humor and wisdom. :-)
Have a great time, may God bless you both and keep you safe.
Take Care
Roni
David and Allan,
ReplyDeleteI love the blog...and can I tell you that I am honestly so jealous! I am looking forward to your posts throughout your travels, what an amazing adventure. Thank you for sharing it with us. Travel safe and enjoy!
Love,
Jaime (David's Niece)
I am soooo excited for you guys! xoxo
ReplyDeleteDear David & Allan,
ReplyDeleteYou both are simply AMAZING! I'm sitting here crying all over my keyboard at the wonderful job you did on this blog. It will be exciting to follow you through your travels (if I close my eyes real tight I will be there with you!) I LOVE you David & I'm overjoyed that Allan is apart of your life. You are gifts to each other.
I will miss you both & I will worry about you, cause...it's in the blood, & oh ya, I have a 'Monkey Mind' too!!! :)
Enjoy your Global Pathways of Presence journey.
My love to you both,
Cindy
David and Allan,
ReplyDeleteI finally looked into this blog, and enjoyed it so much!
It was nice to see your perspectives on everything and glad that you both are having this opportunity to see the world.
And who wouldn't be jealous, no one I know has ever done this and I hope everything goes as planned or close to it and that this opportunity will be everlasting.
We are all going to benefit from this, being able to follow all the blog inputs and all.
May you both be blessed with safety and may you feel the love of family and friends.
Love Sandra (Sam)
You guys are both so cute and I enjoyed reading your posts. My heart is travelling with you and I'm a little jealous, but mostly very happy for you! I will enjoy showing pictures to Catarina and I look forward to seeing you again sometime upon your return...
ReplyDeletexoxoxo much love, Karen
What? You're skipping Florida? ;-)
ReplyDeleteCool trip, cool blog, cool guys. Have fun!
-- Bob (and John)
You two have fun! Roll with everything that comes your way and you will enjoy it so much more. I'm a bit jealous because my life, the past few years has been a roller coaster. Would love to travel the world someday. Take care of each other and I will see you when you get back!
ReplyDeleteLove always, Kimberly (Allans' sister)
David & Allan.....wow! I've just spent an entertaining time reading your travel blog. Now it is on my favorites list so I'll keep up with you as you move through this year - assuring myself that vicariously travelling with you can change me while it changes you! We really don't know what another year will bring - but you will come back thoroughly refreshed!
ReplyDelete