Monday, February 16, 2009

Allan: We've started the trip!

Yes, can you believe it, the long talked about trip has commenced! We had a great pre trip week in LA, helping my Sister Lisa celebrate her 50th Birthday (yes, I'm not far behind). Many of my family members joined David and me in the celebration, it was fun spending the week with them. David and I also had the opportunity to see friends in the LA area, a real treat. The "trip, trip" started without a lot of fanfare; the usual Mechanical issue that delayed our departure time over two hours (we of course were on board). Both David and I having had a busy and fun week slept most of the way to Fiji for our connection to Sydney. We have arrived Sydney (one full day ahead, 19 hours ahead of your West Coast and Portland family and friends). We are here for one night, leaving tomorrow for New Zealand.
What started to make the trip real for me was not so much getting on the plane or the final preparation and packing for that matter, but saying Good-bye to so many people. The Good-byes were all from the heart and said with love, but saying Good-bye for 13 months brings forward a different emotional response than one in which you know you'll see them in a couple of weeks, or even months. It felt good to say what I feel inside, but seldom express fully. Thank you to all that made our send off heartfelt and memorable.

1 comment:

  1. Allan,
    It looks like the first stop of your long awaited trip is finally here and it wasn't even in a place that you had originally planned to visit. Sometimes, the best adventures happen when you don't totally plan them ahead of time. I'm looking forward to living vicariously through you and look forward to following your progress along the way. Have fun in New Zealand.
    Love Leslie

    ReplyDelete