Today marks the final week of preparation for our trip, months in the planning. Those that know me well, know that I’m a planner and very well organized. With that said and a ‘To Do List’ by month...I can’t help but think I’ve forgotten something, something important.
I check my list several times a day, sometimes adding more than I take off. Yes, we have completed our Immunizations and I’ve scanned electronic copies of our International Certificate of Vaccination for our trip files, if in the event, something happens to the originals. Yes, I’ve secured the Entry Visa’s for several countries in which we will be traveling; completing some of the applications was like ‘New Math’ for those of my generation. Yes, I did Wire the Deposit for the Apartment in Argentina we’ve rented next December, but I know I’ve forgotten something, something very important.
Yes, we’ve each gotten our one mighty travel bag and all the necessary gadgets; a mini computer, phones, camera, language translator and an electrical adapter for every possible country, some of which look like you could use to plug in your hybrid car. Yes, we’ve ordered our supply of supplements to cover us until Italy, not wanting to chance a delivery or customs confiscation in China or India. Yes, we gotten all our prescriptions filled for Malaria and problems associated with eating food or drinking water that does not agree with us. Yes, we finalized the rental of David’s Condo and his move out a couple of weeks ago, renting it on Friday with the tenant wanting to move in on Monday. Yes, we’ve seen our dentists in the last two weeks; we’re hoping for one trip experience you won’t find in any guide book for Scandinavia--our next teeth cleaning. Yes, I’ve made list after list in addition to notes placed around the house for my father who will be living in and looking after my home while we are away, everything from "how and when to water the plants", to "please don’t use my pots and pans to cook meat in". Yes, I remembered to send in the change of Title for my car that I recently sold, the Volvo that identified itself with a common citrus fruit. Hint: it’s not an orange. But I know I’ve forgotten something, something very important regarding this trip…
…I now remember what I forgot to do, something that should have been on the top of the list from the beginning and was never crossed off...give my friend and partner, David, more than a few moments of my attention through this very busy time. We’ve since acknowledged what is now so obvious, that we are what’s most important about this trip; it just wasn’t on my list.
I check my list several times a day, sometimes adding more than I take off. Yes, we have completed our Immunizations and I’ve scanned electronic copies of our International Certificate of Vaccination for our trip files, if in the event, something happens to the originals. Yes, I’ve secured the Entry Visa’s for several countries in which we will be traveling; completing some of the applications was like ‘New Math’ for those of my generation. Yes, I did Wire the Deposit for the Apartment in Argentina we’ve rented next December, but I know I’ve forgotten something, something very important.
Yes, we’ve each gotten our one mighty travel bag and all the necessary gadgets; a mini computer, phones, camera, language translator and an electrical adapter for every possible country, some of which look like you could use to plug in your hybrid car. Yes, we’ve ordered our supply of supplements to cover us until Italy, not wanting to chance a delivery or customs confiscation in China or India. Yes, we gotten all our prescriptions filled for Malaria and problems associated with eating food or drinking water that does not agree with us. Yes, we finalized the rental of David’s Condo and his move out a couple of weeks ago, renting it on Friday with the tenant wanting to move in on Monday. Yes, we’ve seen our dentists in the last two weeks; we’re hoping for one trip experience you won’t find in any guide book for Scandinavia--our next teeth cleaning. Yes, I’ve made list after list in addition to notes placed around the house for my father who will be living in and looking after my home while we are away, everything from "how and when to water the plants", to "please don’t use my pots and pans to cook meat in". Yes, I remembered to send in the change of Title for my car that I recently sold, the Volvo that identified itself with a common citrus fruit. Hint: it’s not an orange. But I know I’ve forgotten something, something very important regarding this trip…
…I now remember what I forgot to do, something that should have been on the top of the list from the beginning and was never crossed off...give my friend and partner, David, more than a few moments of my attention through this very busy time. We’ve since acknowledged what is now so obvious, that we are what’s most important about this trip; it just wasn’t on my list.
Oh Allan that was so sweet! I admire you for putting ALL of your time and energy into this trip and for actually knowing what you are doing! I would be SO lost which in turn would cause me a hospital stay for anxiety issues :)! I look forward to following you guys on this trip!
ReplyDeleteHave TONS of fun!
Love, Leesa (Davids niece)
I am LOVING this blog-thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! It's such a great way for us to stay connected. And of course I will be living vicariously through you. Can't wait to see how everything unfolds!
ReplyDeleteI am LOVING this blog-thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey with us! I can't wait to see how everything unfolds, as I live vicariously through you. I have no doubt that you will have an amazing time-how could you not? Much love, Lisa
ReplyDeleteHi Allen and David. Thanks so much for sharing your trip and yourselves through this blog! Long ago I read a wonderful book by a woman who took an unexpected "Walkabout" with the Aborigines of Australia. One of the many wonderful things of Aboriginal spirituality I took away from that was the concept/saying (paraphrased): "Thank you God for guiding me to achieve the highest good for all of life everywhere in each thing I say, do, think, feel, or act." I end each day's meditation with this. May your journey be filled with light, laughter, and love!
ReplyDeleteKimberly in Oceanside
Allan and David, Your blog has already transformed your trip from being a "vacation" to being the journey of a lifetime. I can hardly wait for the future installments!
ReplyDelete