Thursday, March 5, 2009

David: Chance Encounter?

As Allan and I walked downtown to shop for produce at Paddy's Market in downtown Sydney last Sunday, I kept having this feeling that I was going to run into someone I knew. But how could that be? There are 4.2 million people living in Sydney. And who would I know, anyway? Perhaps I would run into one of the guys that rented the chalet at the Lodge 10 years ago--I think 2 of them were from Australia...but would I even recognize them? And 20 years ago, I heard that my old boyfriend Joe moved here, but would he still be here?
Keeping alert as we strolled along, shifting through the crowds, I kept looking at faces, wondering if I would recognize someone around the next corner. Allan and I picked out some fruit, then weighed in on whether asparagus would be good for dinner, or how about Japanese eggplant? (Forget about organic at this market. We've been trying to buy organic here like we do at home, but we know that eventually, we'll have to give that up...so this was our first attempt to shop 'conventional'.) With two full bags of produce, we left the market and headed back toward Hyde Park, aiming home. A crowd was gathered at the park for a wine tasting event, and there was also live music, so we decided to take a break at a picnic bench, and eat our traditional lunch of PB&J with a banana while we enjoyed the shade, trees, and people watching.
After lunch, we decided to use the Port-O-Potties they had set up for the crowds. (Which were quite impressive--they had a spring loaded cover at the bottom of the toilet bowl that kept odors contained below.) Walking towards the exit, Allan said he wanted to look at the ANZAC monument being restored, so we headed that way. Immediately, I noticed a black guy sitting on the steps, talking on the phone. In an instant, I recognized his smile; it was Joe, my first boyfriend from over 20 years ago! He recognized me as I approached, and for a moment, we just stared at each other in disbelief! Could it really be? We hadn't kept in touch, so this was quite a surprise! We both started laughing, and I hate to admit it, but he looked exactly the same. (Can't say the same for me!) It's as if he'd been kept in a time capsule all these years! I introduced him to Allan, (who was trying to figure out why I walked with such intent towards what he thought was a complete stranger!) and we stood and talked in the blaring sun for about 30 minutes. I entered his contact information in my cell phone (forgetting to take a photo to document this event--ugh!) and we said we'd make a plan to get together in a few days.
As Allan and I continued our walk home, I realized that today was March 1. I had first met Joe on March 1, 1986, which I remember because it was the day I participated in the Great Peace March event held in Los Angeles. So we meet again, exactly 23 years later in Sydney! Life is really amazing.

The following Tuesday, I met Joe near our apartment, and he took me to Manly Beach. It's a popular beach that you reach by ferry, so the ride in the harbour was really great to experience. We talked pretty much non-stop the entire 6 hours we were together, stopping occasionally to enjoy the sun, the sand, and the beautiful coastline. We both apologized for things we'd done to each other back then, acknowledging how we were both just kids. We shared our history of the past 20 years, and how we came to be at the place we found ourselves now. It was an experience that seemed to be out of the movies. (He says hello to everyone in my family, by-the-way!)
Joe escorted me half way home on the train, and then we said our goodbyes, making loose plans to get together for dinner before Allan and I leave Sydney. (Joe has lived in Sydney for the past 20 years.)
What are the odds? What does it mean? It's something for me to contemplate.....

7 comments:

  1. Hi David, That was so crazy to read about you running into Joe, and to think that it was on the exact date 23 years later! (The Twiglight Zone music is going through my head right now).
    How nice for the both of you to be able to visit and catch up on each others life. Yes, he does look exactly the same, but then again SO DO YOU! If you meet up with him again, give him a hug and hello from me.
    Your trip sounds wonderful so far, & hope you are over your cold.
    The places you have posted are so beautiful, I bet you have to pinch yourself to let you know that you are not dreaming! Keep up the good job.
    Love to you both, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW David!! Before I even read the post, I saw Joe's picture and knew that was him. I totally remember him and you guys coming over at the WJ house - that has been a long time! I think your coincidence in "bumping" into him was to clear your past, whatever the reason - big or small, and you both can "move on". Crazy to think that it's been that long ago...and he does look EXACTLY the same - sorry to ask, but is he as muscular as he was all those years ago?? That is one thing that sticks out in my mind about him....I know, silly! Keep having tons of fun!
    Love ya, Amie-girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Wow Wow

    Love you, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that is insane! Life is so strange sometimes. Thanks for keeping us updated on all of your wonderful adventures. Allan, your haircut looks great!! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David, Sorry I missed your phone call. I guess I will have to answer all my call's. So glad you ran into Joe. You have to look at this as someting that was supposed to happen. It was a chapter in your life that has had a happy ending. Did you get to see him before you left?
    I'm really enjoying your blog. I was wondering how much sending post card's would be. Would be nice to get a post card from places you've been.
    I'm happy for you and Alan what an adventure. Stay well, God Bless. Love You Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was this guy from high school German class in Sacramento.... When in Boston on business in the '80s he happened to be walking the opposite way on the same sidewalk downtown. Last December we saw each other again as he and his wife have been living in Portland for quite a few years. As large as this world is, it really is small. Memories of lunch in Vancouver, BC perhaps?

    I used to think everything with you happened on the 11th, but now I am beginning to realize it is anything with a "1"!

    Excellent running into Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible that you ran into Joe, on March 1, no less! And you're right--he looks exactly the same! I thought that was an old picture! It was meant to be... Miss you. Marty

    ReplyDelete